Latest News

Mobile phone debt- advice column

1st August 2016

My mobile phone company is still billing me even though I cancelled my contract over the phone. I’m disputing the bill, but now I’ve received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding the money. Will it affect my credit rating if I don’t pay?

You shouldn’t have to pay - if you’re disputing the bill, it shouldn’t be treated as a debt.

Start by making a formal complaint to your mobile phone company. Write to them saying you are disputing your bill, but have still been contacted by debt collectors. Include details of why you’re disputing it, dates you’ve been in touch over the bill and copies of any correspondence. Ask them to call off the debt collectors while the dispute is ongoing.

Next, contact the debt collection agency as soon as possible to say that you’re disputing the bill, and have complained to the phone company about them involving a debt collector. Call the agency, then follow up with a letter. Enclose a copy of your complaint to the phone company, and ask the debt collectors to stop pursuing the bill.

You can use a credit reference agency to check your credit report. If your bill shows up as a debt, you can ask them to add a note saying you’re disputing it.

If the debt collectors are still pursuing the money, or you want more information and advice, contact your local Citizens Advice or visit

Copyright Torridge, North, Mid and West DevonCitizens Advice. For the most up-to-date advice, please visit, pop into your local office or call Adviceline on 03444 111 444

Gallery - click to view the larger version: